Saturday, August 26, 2006

Green Monk

So I'm trying to beef up my portfolio, especially in the storyboards area, cause that's what I want to do more of. In order to do this I've decided to start on a comic book project that's been bouncing around in my sketchbooks for several years now. It's the story of young Russian Orthodox monk that wanders around a mythical Medeivel Russia fighting with a giant blade of grass.

I'm trying to decide on a style. I know I want the atmosphere to play a big role, so much so that I'm not sure I want to draw the human figures very realistically. I'm persuaded that something like Chester Brown's Louis Riel biography would be a nice direction to take.

So here's what I've been playing with lately. See if you can guess which ones I like the best.





5 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Carly Monardo said...

Niiiiiiice! Really loving the energy in these! Plus the structures in your faces are always great!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

great range of styles on these. Im gonna say the fourth one down?

Sounds like a fun project and look forward to seein what direction it goes

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Damian said...

there are some good drawings here, but I would recommend going with one of the more simpler styles. I am interested in storytelling here, and I think you are as well. If you want to work on a quick style that you can use for compositions I think the second or third down lend themselves the best.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Cameron said...

The first one has a great feel to it, but I'm going to guess you're liking the 3rd one down -- it's got a little bit of a Nausicaa thing going for it, and I think that your Grass Monk story has a little Miyazaki flava.

And if that ain't yer favorite, it totally should be. :)

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

Three and Four are definitely the direction I want to head. I'm gonna play around with both and see what happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home