Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Yenadloshi -- The Skinwalkers

I've been working on a screenply for a little over a year now involving Yenadloshi-- Navajo warlocks who gain supernatural powers by wearing the skins of animals.

These are a couple of the concept sketches that I've done along the way.

Look you can see his butt!
This charming little fellow below was ripped off from Bruce Beresford's The Black Robe. He's the director behind such masterpieces as Tender Mercies and less masterful pieces such as My Alibi.

Highly recommended. After you're done watching it, watch Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublyev. And you'll see evidence that Picasso was right when he said, "good artists borrow, but great artists steal."

I like the idea that the Yenadloshi--or yenas as they're called around the Rez--don't morph into animals like a werewolf would, but wrap thamselves inside of the the animal skins. So you end up getting these sweet ghoulish monsters that look like they're crudely stitched together.

I also like the idea of ripping off Mike Mignola. I must be a great artist!


There's this scene where this giant floating head appears in our the hero's bedroom This is what he's supposed to look like:

8 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Lubomir said...

Nice story ideas, there are so many stories to be told about the Natives of the Americas outside of the conventional fare. The indian face at the bottom is great!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger milo said...

awesome blog! Love your sketches! Can't wait for next post.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

Lubomir--

I totally agree. I've seen some Canadian documentaries that do a great job of what you mention. Hopefully we can get the same vision in the states.

BTW, you've got some great work!

Milo--

Thanks for stopping by. I'm liking where your stuff is headed on your blog. Keep it up.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Damian said...

Uh, I believe you have some more sketching to post (not the stuff for me, but just in general).

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't draw men or women without pants! It is not in good taste and We taught you better. Liked the rest of your stuff.

Love Mom

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Manfoom,

I do have some older sketches, but in general I'm trying to post stuff that's current.

Is there something else you were referring to?


Mom,

I'm just glad you like the rest of it! But then again, you are a little partial.

--Brandon

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Damian said...

I wasn't referring to anything in particular, I was just saying, "Post MORE"

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Fine! I'll post some new stuff tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home